The Self-Advocacy Council of Surrey Place is a team of volunteers who provide input to continually improve Programs and Services at the Centre.
The Council Members are individuals living with a developmental disability who currently receive or have received services from Surrey Place.
Members voices are powerful, their words turn into actions on the part of others and working together with staff, clients, management, and the Board of Directors they have improved the work of everyone at the Centre.
- Make their voices heard on behalf of clients and future clients of Surrey Place
- Provide feedback to staff, management and the Board of Directors
- Direct and create change to improve services
- Ensure that Surrey Place’s Client Bill of Rights are known and followed
- Help Surrey Place live its Mission, Vision and Value Statements
- Membership on the Surrey Place Centre Board of Directors.
- Development of the Client Bill Of Rights that tells clients and families what their rights are and how they should be treated at the Centre.
- Creation of Client Safety at Surrey Place Centre. This tells clients and their family how to be safe at the Centre and how they can play a role in safety.
- Creation of The Rules: How to Act at Surrey Place Centre that tells all persons at the centre including clients, staff, family, guests and volunteers how they should act when at the Centre and what to do if someone breaks the rules.
- Creation of “No Abuse Allowed”. This presentation tells clients about the Centre’s policy on abuse, what abuse is and what to do if abuse happens.
- Presentations of the Client Bill Of Rights, Client Safety at Surrey Place Centre, No Abuse Allowed! and The Rules: How to Act at Surrey Place Centre to clients, staff, and the Board of Directors.
- Assisted in creating a booklet entitled Flu Safety that tells clients how to stop the flu from spreading.
- Attendance and presentation at advocacy conferences.
- Participation in focus groups providing feedback into important projects and works in development.
The Surrey Place Client Bill of Rights
The Surrey Place Self Advocates and staff created the Surrey Place Centre Client Bill of Rights. Every person who comes to Surrey Place has rights. “Rights” mean the things we must do to treat you with respect.
To view the full policy please see The Surrey Place Centre Client Bill of Rights.