For children with autism, choosing the essential skills to teach is vital to successful learning. Our Comprehensive Skill-Based Assessment will help you understand your child’s strengths and needs across several areas, including learner readiness, community, daily living skills and other skills that typically develop by kindergarten.
A therapist and a Board Certified Behavior Analyst® (BCBA®) will observe and interact with your child to measure specific skills. We will involve the caregiver in the process by asking for input and explaining components of the evaluation (i.e., the skill being tested and why). The results will help you identify and prioritize treatment goals.
Call Children & Youth Intake
The Comprehensive Skill-Based Assessment is appropriate for you and your child if:
- You have a young child, aged 0-3 and are new to behavioural services.
- You have a child, aged 4-9, who is an early learner and would benefit from a thorough review of skills that typically develop before kindergarten.
- You have not had a comprehensive skills assessment in the past two years.
- Your child is not currently displaying significant challenging behaviour including property destruction, aggression and self-injury.
- You are not looking for a standardized psychoeducational, diagnostic and/or mental health assessment.
- You are not already enrolled in Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI).
The assessment will take place across four, two-hour sessions. Following the assessment, you will meet with the BCBA® to review the results of the assessment. You will be provided with a written report with a summary of results and recommendations. This will help you prioritize treatment goals for your child and assist in selecting the most appropriate program to achieve them.
All our service offerings involve an assessment process. A Comprehensive Skill-Based Assessment is not required to register for our services, but we recommend it for families and caregivers to help prioritize services for their children.