Children and teens with autism often experience mental health challenges such as social anxiety, isolation, generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression. While some of these issues can be alleviated with group intervention, one-on-one counselling services may be more appropriate in some cases. Through our individual counselling sessions, children and teens will explore and learn about their feelings, work through challenges they face, identify problems and opportunities for growth, develop self-awareness and work towards overall happiness and success.
Our trained therapists will work with your child in a safe, caring and interactive environment. We will address their needs using techniques such as cognitive reframing, relaxation and stress-reduction and role-playing. Your child may receive home tasks to continue the work outside of the clinical environment.
Call Children & Youth Intake
1:1 Client to Staff Ratio
A single session costs $170. After the initial consultation, sessions are purchased in packages of four. Eight sessions is often recommended, though families may choose to purchase more.
Each session is 45 minutes long. Session content will be individualized based on the presenting issues. The initial session will serve to explore these issues, prioritize and inform a treatment plan. Subsequent sessions will consist of the following:
- Check-in. Obtain updates relevant to counselling and review the home task(s) (see below)
- Main body of the session. Discuss the presenting issue(s) and develop strategies to improve functioning. The session will be individualized to meet the needs of the client. The therapist may use techniques such as cognitive reframing, relaxation and stress reduction, and role-playing to elicit behaviour change. Information may be shared with the individual using written materials, visual aids and short videos.
- Home task assignment. Skill-building activities to be done outside of the session may be assigned. These will be related to the content covered during the session.
- Session Review. The main issues discussed are reviewed by the therapist and the actions outlined.
Individual counselling may be appropriate if your child:
- Is between the ages of 8 and 18
- Can actively participate in a one-on-one counselling session
- Has been informed and is willing and motivated to engage in counselling
- Has sufficient language abilities to engage in a meaningful back-and-forth conversation
- Does not present with an intellectual disability