We understand that the needs of families extend beyond the development of parenting skills. We provide training and support to parents with intellectual and developmental disabilities who have been deemed eligible for support through Developmental Service Ontario. Our Parenting Enhancement Program includes skill building, community support, service coordination, referrals and advocacy or liaisons between families and community agencies. We use a multifaceted teaching method that emphasizes personalized, home-based, child-care instruction. We also provide training that covers several topics, including:
- Basic infant and childcare skills
- Home safety
- First aid
- Positive parent-child interactions
Additionally, we offer:
- Skill building
- Community support
- Service coordination
- Referrals and advocacy
- Liaisons between families and community agencies.
We aim to reduce the risks of child neglect and abuse and to promote the social, emotional, cognitive and physical development of children. Our goal is to help parents maintain full custody of their children or create future plans of care.
To be eligible for this program, parents must:
- Be 18 years of age and older
- Demonstrate and confirm eligibility through Developmental Services Ontario (DSO)
- Have children between the ages of 0 to 8 years old considered at risk for neglect or abuse
- Have their children in their custody or a plan to return must be in place
- Live in the city of Toronto
The PEP therapist’s role is to enhance existing support services. Their role does not include replacing existing support services.