Children and adults with speech and language challenges require specialized support to meet their communication and development needs. Our Speech-Language Pathologists provide clinical speech and language services to people of all ages and their caregivers. We offer assessment to our clients in order to identify communication goals, develop recommendations and provide caregiver training.
The primary focus of Speech Language Pathology is language development, both receptive (e.g., understanding) and expressive (e.g., speaking, signing, Augmentative & Alternative Communication systems).
We have Speech-Language Pathologists and Communicative Disorder Assistants working in the Infancy and Early Childhood (0-6 years), Children and Youth (6-18 years) and Adult programs (18+ years). Speech-Language Pathologists also consult to Autism services at Surrey Place. We are regulated by the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario and supported by Communicative Disorders Assistants.
To be eligible for this service, infants (0-6 years) must:
- Have supposed or confirmed diagnosis of intellectual disability
- Live in Toronto
- Not receiving Speech-Language Pathology services from another Early Abilities agency (e.g., George Hull, Macaulay, Lumenus, Strides, Hanen Centre)
- Not attending a specialized nursery school (e.g., Centennial, Silver Creek, Yes I Can, Holland-Bloorview, Play & Learn)
To be eligible for this service, children and youth (6-18 years) must be:
- Confirmed diagnosis of intellectual disability
- Living in Toronto
- If in school, referral must be made by Board S-LP
To be eligible for this service, adults (18+ years) must be:
- Disability Services Ontario (DSO) eligible
- Living in Toronto
In the Child and Youth and Adult programs, S-LPs provide swallowing assessments. In children’s services (0-18 years), Speech-Language Pathology services are offered as caregiver-mediated assessments, consultations and interventions. In adult services (18+ years), Speech-Language Pathology services include assessments and consultations for communication.