About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families, and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 11 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in north-western Ontario.
Surrey Place is seeking a Clinical Extern (Nursing Student) to provide support to clinical team in the Adult Services Department who provides service to adults and their caregivers with intellectual and with developmental disabilities to promote health and wellbeing. The Clinical Extern will report to the Manager, Adult and Medical Services and supervision will be provided by one of the Registered Nurses on the team.
- Practices under the supervision of the nurse preceptor in a manner consistent with the practice standards of the College of Nursing of Ontario.
- Assists with teaching/training requests, as appropriate within context of specific nursing knowledge and program services.
- Offers screening of clients, caregivers, and staff, when required for in person or onsite visits.
- Provide supervised nursing support for clinic assessments, including Developmental Disability Family Medicine and Dual Diagnosis Psychiatry consultation clinics.
- Provide supervised nursing assessments and facilitation for clients in more complex situations, needing support with health care follow up, in collaboration with community service providers.
- Support Infection Prevention and Control team during periods of increased activity due to outbreak
- Enrolled in a Nursing Program (BScN) and entering the final year of the program
- Evidence of good academic standing
- Evidence of successful learning experiences in recent clinical placements
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities is an asset.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Fluency in French is considered an asset
How To Apply:
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting file 22207 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.