About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families, and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 11 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in north-western Ontario.
The ACWA Program at Surrey Place is seeking a Communicative Disorders Assistant. Reporting to the Manager, Children and Youth Services, the Communicative Disorders Assistant works as part of an interdisciplinary team, under the daily oversight of a Speech-Language Pathologist, providing Augmentative and Alternative Communication services to children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families and caregivers.
- Support clients and families to achieve service goals through mediator model.
- Provide equipment management of ACWA loans and vendor purchased/leased systems.
- Develop and run clinical groups and workshops.
- Provide consultations to professionals at schools, therapy programs and in the community.
- Create communication materials and program Speech-Generating Devices.
- Provide training to clients, caregivers, and professionals on the technical operations of the AAC devices/software.
- Graduate diploma in Communicative Disorders or other relevant courses.
- Six months related experience and have a thorough understanding of physiological and functional speech/language and hearing disorders, programming skills and intervention techniques to evoke and sustain communication behaviours.
- Speech and language intervention and assessment, including augmentative and alternative communication, developmental disabilities, and their effects on communication.
- Sign language (Signed English, American Sign Language) and low-tech and high-tech Speech Generating Devices.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Vulnerable Sector Screening, and proof of being fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 365.
How To Apply:
- To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values.
- Save your resume and cover letter in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith).
- Send your resume and cover letter to People Services, email@example.com, quoting file 22152 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. Successful candidates who receive a conditional offer of hire will be eligible for accommodation in employment up to the point of undue hardship for bona fide human rights related restrictions and limitations. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.