Program: Children’s Intake and Wellness
Team: Transition Team
Status: Full-time, Contract (12-months)
Hours: 36.25 hrs/week
Salary: $26.9897 – $34.2051 per hour
Date Posted: February 2, 2021
Closing Date: February 16, 2021
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
The Transition and Wellness Teams are seeking an ABA Therapist. Reporting to the Director, Children’s Intake and Wellness, the ABA Therapist will work with other members of the Transition Team to support transitions from a variety of settings such as hospitals, long-term care facilities, education and school. The ABA Therapist will also develop and deliver behavioural workshops for the Wellness Team. The incumbent provides supports and strategies based on the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis, to clients who have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, intellectual and developmental disabilities, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and dual diagnosis.
May include, but is not limited to the following:
- Develop and deliver ABA based support services for individuals being serviced by the Transition and Wellness teams. The focus of these supports is in the areas of communication, behaviour management/emotional regulation, social/interpersonal skills and daily living.
- Provide parent training, education and support services.
- Implement transition plans / complex care plans and monitor progress and adjust services accordingly.
- Collect, analyze and monitor data.
- Administer Functional Assessments.
- Identify additional service needs as appropriate and assist families in accessing services.
- Providing modeling techniques and strategies.
- Adhere to agency requirements with relation to report writing and record keeping.
- Provide service in multiple locations including but not limited to hospitals, schools, long-term care facilities and client family homes within the Toronto area.
- Travel will be required
- College diploma or university degree in a field related to behavioural science technology, psychology, or social services.
- Two years’ experience working with children/youth on the Autism Spectrum and their families, using the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) and teaching children/youth in a group setting.
- Knowledge of typical and atypical child and adolescent development.
- Knowledge of the principles of ABA and ability to translate these into effective intervention strategies for children and youth.
- Experience providing parent training and coaching including delivery of workshops.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, communication skills (both written and oral), time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong initiative.
- Ability to work flexible hours: hours of operation will include evenings and weekends.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Boardmaker.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening).
- Fluency in French is considered an asset
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, email@example.com, quoting file 21016 in the subject line of your email.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.