Program: Autism Services
Status: Full-time, Union
Team: East Team
Salary: $52,417 – $66,430
Date Posted: October 8, 2021
Closing Date: October 22, 2021
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
The Autism Services at Surrey Place is seeking an ABA Therapist. Reporting to the Supervisor, Autism ABA Services, the ABA Therapist provides skill building programs to children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder living in the city of Toronto, based on the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis. This is a province-wide initiative that will assist children and youth in building skills in the following areas: communication; behaviour management/emotional regulation; social/interpersonal; and daily living.
- Develop and deliver primarily group sessions and/or individual sessions in the areas of communication, behaviour management/emotional regulation, social/interpersonal skills and daily living to children and youth diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Provide parent training, education, and support services.
- Implement group curriculum, monitor progress and adjust services accordingly.
- Collect and monitor data.
- Administer Functional Assessments.
- Develop individual and/or group goals and strategies.
- Identify additional service needs as appropriate and assist family in accessing services.
- Provide modeling techniques and strategies.
- Adhere to agency requirements with relation to report writing and record keeping.
- Hours of operation include ability to work evenings each week and Saturdays.
- Travel may be required.
- College diploma or university degree in a field related to behavioural science technology, psychology, or social services.
- Two years’ experience working with children/youth on the Autism Spectrum and their families, using the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) and teaching children/youth in a group setting.
- Knowledge of typical and atypical child and adolescent development.
- Knowledge of the principles of ABA and ability to translate these into effective intervention strategies for children and youth.
- Experience providing parent training and coaching including delivery of workshops.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong initiative skills, demonstrated through the ability to make quick decisions, resolve conflict, and adapt to changing work environments.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Boardmaker.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening) and proof of Covid-19 vaccination status.
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.
Due to the pandemic, this position is a combination of in-person and remote work for now. Candidates will be expected to deliver in-person services if needed. When Covid-19 restrictions are lifted, candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values.
- Save your resume and cover letter in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith).
- Send your resume and cover letter to People Services, email@example.com, quoting file 21148 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. Successful candidates who receive a conditional offer of hire will be eligible for accommodation in employment up to the point of undue hardship for bona fide human rights related restrictions and limitations. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.