Program: Autism Services
Status: Part-time, contract- 16 weeks
Hours: 17.5 hrs/week
Salary: $14.25 per hour
Date Posted: May 20, 2021
Closing Date: June 2, 2021
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
Surrey Place is one of the lead agencies for Autism services and provides flexible, family-centred evidence-based behavioural services for children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Behavioural Services emphasize and prioritize the development, maintenance and generalization of functional skills, including those that prepare children/youth with autism to more fully benefit from, and participate in, their communities.
As part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program, Autism Services is seeking an Autism Program Assistant. This position reports to the Supervising Therapist or Supervisor, Autism Services.
The Autism Program Assistant is responsible for supporting behavioural services and the development of new Autism and behavioural resources. This role has a clinical, research and education focus.
The duties of the Autism Program Assistant are but not limited to:
- Support the delivery of behavioural services and work directly with clients (children and youth).
- Create and assist with the development of program materials, design and implement activities and participate in group activities with Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) Therapists and children.
- Work directly with ABA Therapists to support intermediate to advanced skill-building behavioural services for children with Autism including collecting data for therapists.
- Support Family Support Coaches in setting up presentations and preparing materials for family workshops.
- Responsible for data entry and collection for both clinical and administrative purposes.
- Post-secondary education is preferred.
- Good communication, teamwork and leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and meet assigned deadlines.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
To be considered as an eligible candidate for the Canada Summer Jobs Program, you must be between 15 and 30 years of age and be legally entitled to work in Canada. This means you must have a valid Social Insurance Number.
Due to the pandemic, this position is home-based for now. Candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location when the Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
Please state in your application if you have access to a computer, home internet, and phone, to be considered. We encourage applications from the following groups:
- Newcomers/refugee youth (Newcomer defined as having arrived in Canada in the past 5 years)
- Indigenous youth
- Visible minorities / racialized youth – LGBTQ2 youth
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter in one file saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, email@example.com, quoting file 21062 the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.