No. of Positions: 6
Program: Medical Services
Status: Relief, Contract (Approximately 9 weeks)
Hours: Relief (no guarantee of hours)
Salary: $16 per hour
Date Posted: June 17, 2020
Closing Date: June 24, 2020
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
Surrey Place is seeking a Clinical Extern (Nursing Student) to provide support to the Medical Services department in screening staff and clients. Medical Services at Surrey Place is a team that includes nursing, developmental pediatrics, psychiatry, and family medicine, and provides medical support to clients across the lifespan. The Clinical Extern will report to the Developmental Pediatrician/Chief of Medical Staff and supervision will be provided by one of the Registered Nurses on the team.
- Practices under the supervision of the nurse preceptor in a manner consistent with the practice standards of the College of Nursing of Ontario
- Assists with staff training prior to reopening of Surrey Place locations in the areas of the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), self-assessments and preparing guidelines for physical distancing at work.
- Entrance screening of staff and clients which includes asking questions regarding symptoms, temperature checks etc.
- Monitors Healthline email for staff reporting symptoms and/or test results, provide direction to staff and communicates with managers.
- Conducts Employee contact tracing of potential close contact with other Surrey Place staff.
- Provides guidance to staff when they return to work after COVID-19 illness and liaise with RN preceptor if necessary.
- Assists with the development of COVID-19 related policies, in collaboration with RN preceptor and IPAC team.
- Enrolled in a Nursing Program (BScN) and entering the final year of the program
- Evidence of good academic standing
- Evidence of successful learning\ experiences in recent clinical placements
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities is an asset.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Fluency in French is considered an asset
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting file 2061 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.