Program: Communications and Fundraising
Status: Full-time, Contract – 8 weeks
Hours: 36.25 hrs/week
Salary: $14.00 per hour
Date Posted: August 12, 2020
Closing Date: August 18, 2020
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
As part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program, the Communications and Fundraising Departments are looking for a Communication and Fundraising Intern. This position reports to the Manager, Communications.
The Communications and Fundraising Intern is an important role at Surrey Place. The Communications Department works closely with the Business Development and Marketing Team as well as all internal departments. The successful candidate will support the organization in a variety of functions, participate in engaging work and deepen their skill set. The Communications and Fundraising Intern will also work closely with the Executive Assistant on the Surrey Place Fundraising Portfolio.
The duties are but not limited to:
- Provide writing support for Surrey Place’s internal announcements and newsletters, and its external-facing communication, including social media.
- Collect staff, client and donor stories from across the organization to be used in internal and external communications and develop a system for organizing the stories.
- Contribute to the planning of the 2020/2021 internal and external content calendar.
- Perform daily media scans for news articles and social media trends that relate to Surrey Place.
- Schedule social media posts and provide support for social media monitoring.
- Assist in the administrative tasks of the department, including organizing and archiving consent forms; and organizing branded materials.
- Assist with gift acknowledgement, donor demographic management, tax receipting methods and reporting.
- Assist in the research of new donor stewardship opportunities to gain insight into trends.
- Support the planning and execution of special events, including Donor Recognition Events, and Donor Recruitment Drives.
- Support the drafting of various program-specific donor correspondence.
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Marketing, Fundraising or Administration is preferred.
- Good customer service, communication and teamwork skills
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
To be considered as an eligible candidate for the Canada Summer Jobs Program, you must be between 15 and 30 years of age and be legally entitled to work in Canada. This means you must have a valid Social Insurance Number. Due to the pandemic, this position is home-based for now. Candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location when the Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
Please state in your application if you have access to a computer, home internet, and phone to be considered. We encourage applications from the following groups:
- Newcomers / refugee youth (Newcomer defined as having arrived in Canada in the past 5 years)
- Indigenous youth
- Visible minorities / racialized youth – LGBTQ2 youth
Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting file 2068 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation, appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.