Status: Full-time Permanent, 36.25 hrs/week
Date Posted: June 17, 2019
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
Working collaboratively with our programs and services, the successful candidate will lead communications and public relations activities with a focus on effectively informing audiences of our services and supports. In addition, this position will focus on keeping our employees up-to-date by communicating organizational initiatives and information. The Communications Specialist will write professional, creative, informative, accessible and engaging stories for all platforms and media, both traditional and online, including but not limited to newsletters, annual reports and TV monitors.
- Provide support and advise on publications and products to be produced for programs and services, including assistance with writing material
- Plan, coordinate and direct editorial activities and staff engagement in selecting and preparing material for print and electronic publications; such as newsletters, annual reports, website and related platforms
- Advise and/or write content, oversee implementation, visual design and functionality of material in keeping with brand and brand language guidelines
- Review quality of final print or electronic product before released
- Prepare executive messaging, briefing notes, key messages, speeches and other related communications materials
- Create strategic media contacts and be the organization’s main contact for media inquiries. Work with staff in any media relations activities. This includes but not limited to collaborating in the implementation of media activities and fielding media-related inquiries
- Degree in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations combined with a minimum of 2 years’ directly related experience in the communications field
- Excellent creative writing and editing skills. Experienced in writing for the web, blogs and e-newsletters
- Demonstrated experience in writing effective headlines and subject lines that capture attention
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and skilled in developing error-free content within tight deadlines that follows appropriate brand and brand language guidelines
- Attention to detail in consolidating information from multiple sources
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism.
- Advanced communication skills (verbal and written).
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, with ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Knowledge of social services sector and developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and blind low vision an asset
- Experience dealing with confidential materials and exercising good judgement and discretion in dealing with politically sensitive and confidential matters
- Excellent working knowledge of computer programs and software i.e. Microsoft Office 365, Teams, Mailchimp, WordPress and social media platforms
- Experienced in working with tracking software for traditional and social media coverage i.e. Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Critical Mention, Sprout Social, True Social
- Fluency in French or another second language is considered an asset, but not a requirement.
Surrey Place provides a competitive package, a Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP), a comprehensive group benefits plan and a very competitive paid time off plan.
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting file 1931 in the subject line of your email. Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.