Status: Full-time, Contract (6 months)
Hours: 36.25 hrs/week
Salary: $23.0255 – $28.0141 per hour
Date Posted: November 17, 2020
Closing Date: November 23, 2020
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
The Communications Department is looking for a Junior Communication Assistant. This position reports to the Manager, Communications.
The Junior Communications Assistant plays an important role at Surrey Place. The Communications Department works closely with the Business Development and Marketing Team as well as all internal departments. The successful candidate will support the organization in various functions, participate in engaging work and deepen their skill set.
The duties are but not limited to:
- Provide writing support for Surrey Place’s internal announcements and newsletters, and its external-facing communication, including social media.
- Coordinate the monthly internal newsletter, working with various departments to compile and edit content, formatting the email campaign in MailChimp.
- Manage day-to-day requests for internal news sharing.
- Schedule social media posts and provide support for social media monitoring.
- Ensure that community-based inquiries and communication are answered within the established timelines.
- Collect staff, client and donor stories from across the organization to be used in internal and external communications and develop a system for organizing the stories.
- Perform daily media scans for news articles and social media trends that relate to Surrey Place.
- Produce weekly In the News emails sent to staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Marketing, Fundraising or Administration is preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working as a communication professional or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Demonstrated understanding of communications principles and practices as they apply to traditional and new media.
- Proven highly motivated self-starter with a professional demeanour, demonstrated tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment while paying close attention to detail.
- Strong writer with well-honed editing skills to support the production of high-quality communications materials.
- Bilingualism (French/English) would be considered an asset.
- A satisfactory Public Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Due to the pandemic, this position is home-based for now. Candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location when the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
Please state in your application if you have access to a computer, home internet, and phone to be considered.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and 3 writing samples saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (i.e. John.Smith) to Human Resources, email@example.com, quoting file 2102 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation, appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.