Program: Children and Youth Department
Status: Full-time, Union
Salary: $66,339 – $84,074
Date Posted: September 7, 2021
Closing Date: September 21, 2021
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
The Children and Youth Department at Surrey Place is seeking an Occupational Therapist. Reporting to the Senior Director, Children’s Services the Occupational Therapist works as part of an interdisciplinary team focused on streamlining functional assessments and supporting family capacity building as early as possible. This position will provide occupational therapy services to children with special needs, developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorder to enhance self-care, leisure and productivity skills, independent skills and quality of life.
- Conduct occupational therapy assessments, provide recommendations and training to caregivers using a mediator-based model.
- Conduct caregiver training workshops for parents and other professionals.
- Promote and initiate new services to enhance service models and address waitlists.
- Provide community consultation to schools, day programs and group homes.
- Provide clinical supervision and guidance to students.
- Graduate degree in Occupational Therapy
- Registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- More than 1-year prior related experience
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorder
- Experience in specialty areas such as sensory processing, augmentative communication and writing aids, mental health domains, adaptive equipment, and interdisciplinary team approach
- Knowledge and application of the Occupational Therapy framework, philosophy and theory, interpretation of standardized and non-standardized assessments, knowledge of development (typical/non-typical), of augmentative communication/writing assessments, and of appropriate OT intervention strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience working with children and participating on an interdisciplinary team is considered an asset.
- Individual Authorizer, Ontario Assistive Devices Program is considered an asset.
- Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening).
Due to the pandemic, this position is a combination of in-person and remote work for now. Candidates will be expected to deliver in-person services at Surrey Place satellite offices as needed. When Covid-19 restrictions are lifted, candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values.
- Save your resume and cover letter in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith).
- Send your resume and cover letter to People Services, email@example.com, quoting file 21123 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.