Program: Adult Program
Status: Relief, Contract (until June 2022)
Hours: Relief (a total of 200 hours for 10 months)
Salary: $20.1523 – $24.5183
Date Posted: September 17, 2021
Closing Date: September 24, 2021
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
The Adult Program Department is seeking a Peer Mentor for an upcoming project entitled “Supporting Safe Sexual Practices for Transition-aged Youth with Intellectual Disabilities”. This program will work with transition-aged young adults between the ages of 18 – 30 with an intellectual and developmental disability (IDD) or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The program will adapt material for participants and increase knowledge regarding safe sexual practices. This program is crucial because people with disabilities receive limited health education compared to their peers and when education is available it may not be adapted to their needs. The ideal candidate has attended Surrey Place programs and activities in the past and is a young adult who has displayed knowledge absorption and behaviours around healthy sexual behaviours. The Peer Mentor will support program design, delivery and evaluation.
- Support the design of program materials and content, ensuring program information is approachable to participants.
- Provide insight into topics and approaches that are useful for program participants.
- Support the facilitation of program sessions (12 sessions over 2 rounds).
- Answer participant questions and dispel myths as appropriate.
- Support the design of evaluation questions and evaluation strategies, ensure they are accessible and easy to comprehend for participants.
- Help deliver evaluation questionnaires
- Be 18 to 30 years of age with a developmental disability.
- Previous experience with Surrey Place programs.
- Comfort and knowledge of sexual health education and gender conversations.
- Leadership skills and/or desire to grow leadership skills.
- Familiarity with Self-Advocate experiences.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Vulnerable Sector Screening, and proof of being fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
Due to the pandemic, this position is a combination of remote and in-person work for now. Candidates will be expected to deliver in-person services if needed. When Covid-19 restrictions are lifted, candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values.
- Save your resume and cover letter in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith).
- Send your resume and cover letter to People Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting file 21125 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. Successful candidates who receive a conditional offer of hire will be eligible for accommodation in employment up to the point of undue hardship for bona fide human rights related restrictions and limitations. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.