Program: Adult Program/MMW Program
Status: Full-time, Union
Hours: 36.25 hrs/week
Salary: $64,388 – $81,601
Date Posted: August 19, 2019
Closing Date: August 30, 2019
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
The Adult Program at Surrey Place is seeking an Occupational Therapist. The Occupational Therapist works as part of an interdisciplinary team to provide occupational therapy services to adults to enhance self-care, leisure and productivity skills, increase independence and quality of life.
This position will also support the Mashkikiiwininiwag Mazinaatesijigan Wichiiwewin (MMW) Video Conferencing Program. The MMW Video Conferencing Program is part of the Adult Program. The MMW Program provides specialized clinical services to individuals with developmental disabilities and autism living in Northwestern Ontario using video conferencing technology and clinical trips to northern communities.
- Provide assessment, consultation and service planning for individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Provide educational services to students, staff and other professionals and agencies to support individuals with autism and/or developmental disabilities.
- Provide clinical supervision and guidance to students.
- Program and service development and evaluation for OT services.
- Travels with the MMW Program to northern First Nations communities to provide assessment, consultation and service planning for children with developmental disabilities.
- Graduate degree in Occupational Therapy.
- Registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario.
- One year of related experience working as an Occupational Therapist.
- Experience working with persons with developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorders.
- Experience in specialty areas such as sensory processing, augmentative communication and writing aids, mental health, adaptive equipment, individual authorizing abilities and an interdisciplinary team approach.
- Knowledge and application of the Occupational Therapy framework, philosophy and theory, interpretation of standardized and non-standardized assessments, knowledge of development (typical/non-typical), of augmentative communication/writing assessments, intervention strategies application of technology, and of appropriate OT intervention strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience working with adults, and participating on an interdisciplinary team is an asset.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening).
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting file 1951 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.