Program: Medical Services
Status: Full-time, Contract
Hours: 36.25 hrs/week, for 9 weeks
Date Posted: May 15, 2019
Closing Date: May 29, 2019
Surrey Place is seeking a Clinical Extern to provide support to the Medical Services department over the summer. Medical Services at Surrey Place is a team that includes nursing, developmental pediatrics, psychiatry, and family medicine, and provides medical support to clients across the lifespan. Supervision will be provided by one of the Registered Nurses on the team.
- Practices under the supervision of the Nurse preceptor in a manner consistent with the professional standards of the College of Nursing.
- Assist in developing and implementing plans of care in collaboration with the client/family, and the interprofessional team.
- Under supervision of the Nurse preceptor, conduct health assessments of infants, children, and transition-aged youth with developmental disabilities.
- Contribute to the management of episodic and stable chronic conditions commonly seen in primary health care, consulting with Surrey Place nurses and physicians.
- Assist in writing reports and communicating plan of care to clients, families, and internal and external interprofessional teams.
- Work with clients, families, internal, and external interprofessional teams to navigate the health care system, and identify and access health and other resources in their communities.
- Integrate health promotion principles into each interaction with individuals, families, or groups.
- Enrolled in a Nursing Program (BScN) and entering the final year of the program
- Evidence of good academic standing
- Evidence of successful learning experiences in recent clinical placements
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities is an asset
- The successful candidate must provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Fluency in French is considered an asset
To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values. Please submit your resume and cover letter saved in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith) to Human Resources, email@example.com, quoting file 1922 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.