Department: Finance and Corporate Services
Location: Toronto South
Status: Full-time, Union
Hours: 36.25 hrs/week
Salary: $58,707 – $74,402
Date Posted: December 3, 2021
Closing Date: December 17, 2021
About Surrey Place:
At Surrey Place we help children and adults living with developmental disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and visual impairments reach their full potential. We offer a variety of groups and workshops for clients, families and caregivers, as well as extensive education and consultation services to community agencies.
Our comprehensive programs and services range from assessment, diagnosis, and one-on-one treatment, to family counselling and group support and is provided by a broad network of clinicians and professionals. Surrey Place is accredited with Accreditation Canada and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other academic institutions and is a teaching site for students in a variety of health care professions.
Surrey Place employs nearly 500 employees, with 12 locations in the GTA and we also provide video-conferencing services to communities in northwestern Ontario.
Reporting to the Manager, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), the Web Developer will work closely with the web design team to ensure the successful delivery and ongoing maintenance of Surrey Place’s websites and other web applications. Working with an integrated team, the Web Developer will lead the development and upkeep of content and brand websites and landing pages, with a focus on visitor experience and conversion optimization. The successful candidate will be a self-driven individual who relies on analytics, user behavior and user experience to drive design, engagement, and traffic.
- Lead the development and maintenance of content-centric websites for Surrey Place and its partner organizations to meet business requirements and future enhancements.
- Use a broad set of technology tools including HTML, CSS, SCSS, WordPress, Microsoft, Dynamics 365 and Azure to create web-based solutions and update scalable websites.
- Convert design mock-ups with specifications into functional web pages, components, and reusable templates based on current trends and user feedback.
- Code digital marketing and communication channels including the core websites, landing pages, portal websites, online help, and mobile experience, to ensure that websites meet all accreditation and compliances needs (PHIPA, PIPEDA, AODA, WCAG) and have proper technical documentation.
- Collaborate with the integrated team and third-party vendors to develop and maintain dynamic themes and plug-in updates that meet brand and usability standards.
- Implement, configure, and maintain Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Hotjar and A/B testing framework.
- Identify and troubleshoot problems with our website or underlying code and propose solutions that are guided by best practice, data, and our coding environment and web infrastructure.
- Participate in on-going discussions and contribute ideas that speak to project objectives like design, user experience, development, testing solutions, ongoing code/architecture reviews and tools.
- In collaboration with the Systems Administration team, the Web Developer will participate in the management and administration of public-facing domains, web-hosting platforms (CPanel, WordPress), and DNS.
- Monitor emerging threats and vulnerabilities that may impact the web platforms, including WordPress and WordPress plugins; and work to secure affected sites and platforms quickly and as needed.
- Research emerging trends, case studies and provide feedback on Surrey Place’s web presence.
- Manage multiple assignments while working independently or as part of an integrated team.
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Information Systems & Design, or related field.
- 2 years of experience managing web projects using the various methodologies (waterfall and Agile).
- 2 years of experience with UX/UI Design processes.
- 2 years of experience in working collaboratively with wireframes and prototypes.
- 2 years of experience with change management and ticketing systems.
- 2 Years of experience with back-end administration of web hosting platforms including CPanel and WordPress, with a solid understanding of domain and DNS management.
- 2 years of experience in maintaining websites and web-based applications across multiple platforms (desktop, mobile) and multiple browsers while ensuring AODA & PHIPA compliance.
- 2 years of experience in pushing website updates through Git.
- Experience with WordPress as a development framework and MS Dynamics 365, building responsive, mobile-first websites is strongly preferred. Experience working in Azure is an asset.
- Ability to program under different constraints and participate in long-term strategic projects while positively contributing to last-minute fixes and short-term solutions.
- Understanding of WCAG 2.1 AA, its implementation and experience developing AODA-compliant websites.
- Ability to create and maintain technical documentation, processes, and workflows.
- Proficiency in database technologies (i.e mySQL).
- Strong interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills – able to communicate with all levels of the organization effectively and professionally.
Due to the pandemic, this position is a combination of remote and in-person work for now. Candidates will be expected to deliver in-person services if needed. When Covid-19 restrictions are lifted, candidates will be required to work from a Surrey Place location.
How to Apply
- To be considered for this position, you must be passionate about the work we do, and share our organizational values.
- Save your resume and cover letter in the following format: firstname.lastname (ie. John.Smith).
- Send your resume and cover letter to People Services, email@example.com, quoting file 21180 in the subject line of your email by the closing date.
Surrey Place is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through this process. Successful candidates who receive a conditional offer of hire will be eligible for accommodation in employment up to the point of undue hardship for bona fide human rights related restrictions and limitations. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.