Surrey Place Centre is proud to join millions around the world Monday March 21, 2016 in celebrating and raising awareness about Down syndrome in honour of World Down Syndrome Day.
World Down Syndrome Day has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012. To date, the event has been observed in over 60 countries worldwide. World Down Syndrome Day is celebrated on the 21st day of the third month of the year; the date is symbolic of the third copy of the 21st chromosome that characterizes Down syndrome.
This year’s theme “My Friends, My Community” encourages everyone to talk about the importance of creating inclusive environments and providing people with Down syndrome full and equal rights, on an equal basis with other people, both as children and adults. Surrey Place Centre works in collaboration with a number of community partners in Toronto to showcase the unlimited possibilities that can transpire for individuals who are living with Down syndrome.
We encourage you to get involved and raise awareness. Below are ways on how you can show your support.
Information on How You Can Get Involved:
- Update your social media banner image. Change your Facebook cover photo and your Twitter header photo from March 14 – March 21, 2016. Download the appropriate file below.
- Tweet about it. Using the hashtag #SPCelebrate, tweet us @SurreyPlaceON and tell us:
- How you spread awareness about Down syndrome
- Why you spread awareness about Down syndrome
- The benefits of inclusive environments for children, youth and adults with Down syndrome
- Promote our information resource. Read, download and share our ‘What to Expect When You’re Expecting a Baby with Down Syndrome’ information resource. Download the file here.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @SurreyPlaceON for the latest updates!