Service begins at TPAS with Parent Education and Support Services. Parents’ involvement in a child’s learning is related to higher achievement as well as being of benefit for the entire family. Studies have shown that with training parents can learn to use the intervention techniques very effectively. When parents use these techniques, their children are more likely to apply their learning to new situations and to remember and use what they learn over time.
TPAS Parent Education and Support Services were designed to assist parents to build a foundation of knowledge to support child development and to link them with resources in their community.
The objectives are to assist families to:
- Set attainable goals for their child and family
- Increase confidence in their ability to use behavioural strategies to promote future skill acquisition with their child
- Create ongoing opportunities to promote generalization and maintenance of skills
- Increase proficiency in identifying and accessing relevant community resources
The Parent Education and Support Pathway is comprised of 4 phases:
- Getting Started
- Preparing for IBI
- Partnering for Success in IBI
- Preparing for School and Beyond
During each phase parents will access a range of workshops, parent support groups, and individual coaching and consultation.
During Intensive Behavioural Intervention
TPAS offers specialized learning opportunities to parents with children in IBI so they can help their children reach goals and live life to their fullest potential. Opportunities include:
- Access to resource materials such as books, articles, videos and DVDs
- Regular treatment observations
- Small group parent training sessions
- Individual and small group coaching
- Workshops and conferences