BEHAVIOURAL MEDICAL ASSESSMENT
OF COMPLEX KIDS AND THEIR
Dealing with extreme behavioural challenges can be demanding, especially when there may be medical contributors to the behaviour. Our Behavioural Medical Assessment of Complex Kids and their Environment (BMACKE) Clinic provides a comprehensive behavioural medical assessment and clinical consultation to our clients. We serve children and youth aged 6-18 with several challenges, including:
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD)
- Down syndrome and intellectual or developmental disabilities
- Complex developmental behavioural conditions
- Mental health issues
- Compounding internal medical issues, such as pica and aggression
Our clinic uses evidence-based science from the fields of medicine and behaviour analysis to provide assessment and intervention to our clients. For our referred clients, we take a collaborative approach to assess and create an intervention plan that best suits them.
Our clients are children and youth who experience complex/severe behavioral difficulties with additional physical and/or mental health difficulties. Clients can be eligible for this program through one or more of the following service streams:
- Clients who have complex eating, sleep or GI concerns.
- Clients who have been seen by primary care practitioners and need further support with a medication trial using the application of applied behavior pharmacology to assess the effects of the medication on behavior.
- Clients who need diagnostic clarification and treatment for a psychiatric concern.
Clients whose behavior has been identified as operant but because of the medical pieces surrounding the behavior, consultation from a behavioral medical team will provide additional support to a behavior analyst.
BMACKE is an internal resource only for Surrey Place clients in Children’s Services.
For internal referrals, cases currently open to Surrey Place are brought for review by the Surrey Place clinician to Integrate Planning Table meetings. Please note that all referrals are processed through the Integrated Children’s Intake (6-18 years old).
For external referrals, cases are sometimes referred directly to a Surrey Place physician from a community physician for a medical-only consult. In some cases, the referral may appear to be appropriate for the BMACKE Clinic. These cases are re-directed to contact Intake. The SP physician will:
- Inform the external physician of the intake process. The external physician and/or the family must contact Intake to begin the process.
- Notify Intake of the incoming referral.
Once the Children’s Integrated Planning Table has discussed the referral with a Medical Services Staff (Registered Nurse), the BMACKE team will complete a brief screening for BMACKE. Please note that all referrals are processed through the Integrated Children’s Intake (6-18 years old).