Let’s commit to continuous reflection and growth year-round!
We spent Black History Month sharing the stories of Black clients and caregivers accessing services in the developmental services sector, exploring the ways that we can learn and unlearn concepts related to anti-Black racism and how we can work together to dismantle it. But our work never stops. Here at Surrey Place, we’re committed to inspiring change, and that starts at home!
Our Anti-Racism: Black Cultural Awareness Training and Consulting Group, composed of Black staff members at Surrey Place, recommend the following shows, films, organizations, and other ways to learn more about social issues that Black people faced historically and are still affected by today. We each have our own role to play in dismantling racism, and so we hope these resources empower you in your journey of continuous knowledge growth.
10 Recommended Shows and Films to Watch:
- When They See Us
- Time: The Kalief Browder Story
- Seven Seconds
- 12 Years a Slave
- American Son
- Rest in Power: The Trayvon Martin Story
10 Recommended Books to Read:
- Me and White Supremacy Book and Journal by Layla F. Saad
- Policing Black Lives: State Violence in Canada from Slavery to the Present by Robyn Maynard
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- The Skin We’re In by Desmond Cole
- Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present by Harriet A. Washington
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
- Canada in Africa: 300 Years of Aid and Exploitation by Yves Engler
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Tip: You can purchase these books and other books on race from the following Black-owned bookstores that also give back to the community – Notability, Nile Valley Books, A Different Booklist, Nzuri Books and Knowledge Bookstore.
10 Canadian Organizations to Support:
- Black Health Care Alliance
- Black Mental Health Matters Funds
- Harriet Tubman Community Organization
- Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Health Centre
- Black Youth Helpline
- Shelley Cares Foundation
- TAIBU Community Health Centre
- Black Creek Community Farm
- Black Daddies Club
- Black Lives Matter Canada