During this period of social distancing, teens will spend increased time on their devices (e.g., computer, phone, tablet) engaging with people and information on social media. Social media entails websites or applications (apps) that allow people to share and consume content quickly and in real time.
Your teen may be using the following applications:
- Facebook or Facebook watch
- Zoom or Google meets
- Gaming Platforms (e.g., Twitch)
Teens may be exposed to new platforms during the school closure, such as Periscope, Mixer and Caffeine (online gaming).
Why is social media important?
Social Media can be used to:
- Build and maintain social relationships while face-to-face interaction is unavailable
- Stay connected (may help with feelings of anxiety, depression and loneliness during uncertain times)
- Practice conversation skills such as articulating own opinions and beliefs
- Help teens understand social expectations and resolve problems as they occur
- Teach teens perspective taking through exposure to different points of view and experiences
- Support teens in developing friendships with peers who have similar interests