WHAT IS A SOCIAL STORY?
Through the art of storytelling, social stories can be used to teach appropriate behaviour, social norms and routines in a relatable way. Social stories can be used as a proactive strategy before encountering new situations or for situations that are known to be challenging for your child.
WHY ARE SOCIAL STORIES USEFUL?
Social stories can:
- Promote self-awareness and self-calming
- Be tailored to your child’s age, ability and interests
- Include your child, favourite activities and characters to capture their attention
- Help your child predict outcomes and remember sequences of events
- Provide an opportunity to practice reading individually or as a family.